Having a big booty is becoming pretty trendy with many celebs flaunting their curves online and showing us that skinny is not the only way to look good! Do you long for a perky behind? If so we have 9 exercises that you need to be doing right now to get your dream derriere. Below we will run through our top 9 best butt exercises to enhance and tone your rear.
In celeb land having a big butt is a must for many, but not everyone has the time and patience to work hard in the gym. Plastic surgery has become part of many celebs’ beauty regime. You can pay a lot of money for a few quick injections to achieve your desired butt size, but remember plastic surgery is not always the safest option. Before you check your savings take a look at this clip from Botched! If you’re serious about your silhouette and want to firm and tone your behind, follow our top 9 best butt exercises below!
Best Butt Exercises #1 Squats
Squatting is the ideal exercise to tone and enhance your glutes. Over time, if you regularly squat you will notice your glute muscle increase in size. In turn, giving you a bigger, firmer and toned behind.
How to squat:
- Stand tall and place your feet about hip distance apart. To increase the intensity you can hold dumbbells at the same time.
- Lower into your squat by bending the knees, aim to keep your knees behind your toes. Keep your torso straight but stick out your butt as you bend into the squat.
- To stand back up, press your weight into your heels and lift back to standing.
- Start by doing 8 squats 2-3 times and as you improve up it to 16 squats.
Best Butt Exercises #2 Lunges
Lunges are a great butt exercise because they require you to balance, this, in turn, fires up the glutes to keep you stable. By staggering the legs, the glutes of your front leg must work harder to keep you steady.
How to lunge:
- Stagger your feet and place one leg in front, one behind. Keep the space between your legs roughly 3 feet apart so they’re not too wide.
- Your front knee should be bent deeply at a 90-degree angle and the back knee should also bend, with your knee pointing toward the floor. Use your torso to send your body weight down into the bend and this motion is the ‘lunge’.
- Remain upright and avoid leaning over the front knee during your lunge.
- Send your weight into your heels to stand back up and carry out 12 lunges for 1-3 sets.
Best Butt Exercises #3 Step Ups
Step ups are another great exercise for toning your butt. For increased intensity, try using taller step blocks to really get your glutes working. Step-ups can be fun and energetic so stick on some party tunes and take 15 minutes of your day to step up!
How to step up:
- Place your step or platform in front of you and stand adjacent. Place one foot on the step and leave the other on the floor to begin.
- Apply pressure into the heel to help you step up, and bring your other foot onto the platform too.
- Step the first foot off the platform and onto the floor, then bring the second foot down and repeat
- Step up and down 16 times for 3 sets and for added intensity try holding dumbells whilst stepping up and down.
Best Butt Exercises #4 Sidestep Squats
Sidestep squats using an elastic resistance band is the perfect way to tone. Whereas the previous exercises focus on the gluteus maximus, this exercise will help with the smaller gluteus medius and minimus muscles.
How to sidestep squat:
- Place a resistance band under both feet and hold the other side of the band in your hands. Pull to create medium tension around the band.
- Step the feet wide apart and resume the squat position from best butt exercises #1. Keep the band taught to maintain tension.
- Starting in the middle of the room, take large steps to the left and then back to the right across the room.
- Carry out 1 to 3 sets of 8 to 16 steps in each direction.
Best Butt Exercises #5 Butt Squeezes
Butt squeezes as you can imagine is a great way of toning your rear. The clenching motion helps to contract and retract the muscles. For this exercise, you will need some equipment so grab yourself a yoga mat and an exercise ball and for added intensity some dumbells too.
How to butt squeeze:
- To start, place your head/neck on the ball and feet flat on the floor with your knees bent. Lift up into a bridge position and if using weights, place them on your thighs.
- Lower your hips to the ground steadily, so the ball remains stationary. The yoga mat should help to stop the ball rolling away.
- Squeeze your glutes to lift back up to bridge pose and repeat 1 to 3 sets of 8 to 16 reps.
- For more intensity, lift your toes!
Best Butt Exercises #6 Hiking
Okay, so this isn’t an exercise you can do around the home. But, if you love the great outdoors then this is a great option for you! Hiking burns a huge number of calories because you are walking (exercising) across long distances for a long amount of time. Plus, chances are you’re hiking across hills, rocks or mountains. This means you’ll be working harder when travelling uphill. You may require more energy for changes in the altitude or do a bit of rock climbing too!
Walking on an incline such as a steep hill gets your glutes fired up. This is why hiking, as a pose to just walking, is a great exercise for getting a bigger butt. Plus, if you have a heavy backpack on with food and water supplies or even camping equipment, that’s going to make you work even harder! You can burn around 400 calories per hour hiking, so why not spend a sunny day in a picturesque place burning lots of calories!
Best Butt Exercises #7 Kickboxing
Kickboxing is a fantastic way to fire up muscles you don’t always use. You need to be strong, controlled and powerful. Those roundhouse, sidekicks and back kicks will help to work your butt, hips and thighs. Strengthening these muscles will help to tone and define.
The average woman can burn up to 500 calories during a 45-minute kickboxing session. Why not grab your mates and let out some frustration in a kickboxing class? This can be great fun, a social activity and a really good workout for your butt, without you even realising it!
Best Butt Exercises #8 Hip Extensions
Hip extensions are a great way of targeting a key area of your body, in this case, the hips and butt! Whilst most of the exercises so far work multiple areas of the body, hip extensions are a lot more focused.
How to do hip extensions:
- Kneel on your hands and knees, keeping your hands directly under the shoulders, and knees in line with your hips.
- Keep your right knee bent and lift up until the right leg is level with your glutes.
- Lower the right leg and repeat on the left, switching sides for 12 to 16 reps.
Best Butt Exercises #9 One-Legged Deadlifts
If you’re looking for a tough exercise that’s really going to reap the rewards, then deadlifts might just be for you. They’re a great way to fire up the hamstrings, lower back and of course your butt. This exercise helps you to focus on balance and core strength. If you tend to have problems with your back, then you may want to skip this one or seek medical advice first.
How to do one-legged deadlift:
- Place your left leg behind you and lightly rest your toe on the ground. For added intensity, hold weights.
- Lean forward from the hips, slowly lowering the weights towards the ground. Go as far as your flexibility enables you to.
- Keeping your back flat, be sure to keep your abs contracted to protect your back during this exercise.
- Squeeze your glutes tightly of the leg behind you to help you lift back up.
- Carry out 1 to 3 sets of 8 to 16 reps on each leg.
Celebrity Butt Inspiration
Comment below to let us know your top tips for getting a bigger butt!
Looking to lose weight and tone up? Check out our review of PhenQ and learn how you can cut the cravings, drop several dress sizes and achieve your dream body!